STEAMANITIES (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, Mathematics and Humanities) was inspired by two Canyon Crest Academy students in San Diego who participated in Humanities competition at MIT in 2017. They also belonged to the Envision Conservatory for the Humanities. These two students saw how the Arts and Sciences have been ripped away from each other.
Today, college preparatory has focused on test taking and rote learning at the expense of educating the whole person. These two students are now in university, studying Science curriculum. They realized there was a distinct lack of research opportunities for high school students interested in the Humanities.
The Steamanities serves to bring to these disciplines back together. The STEM will show the students how, the Arts and Humanities will teach them why. Steamanities incorporates communication, collaboration, creativity and critical thinking. These are all skills or, that is techniques that utilize, through project based learning, to enable the student to see education not just as a product, but a purpose as well. The 21st century demands creative scientists who can communicate, artists and historians who can apply and build.
STEAMANITIES JAPAN PROJECT 2020 sponsored by GLOBAL EDUCATION ELITE and in partnership with UCSD EXTENSION will take students on a life changing journey to expose to the latest research and technology and the traditional arts and crafts in Japan. Students will have a unique opportunity to meet a hibakusha, a survivor of the 1945 atomic bombings of Hiroshima. Students will also participate in a service-learning project which will impact the local families in a small village near Hiroshima.
GET A JUMP START ON COLLEGE
· Students in grades 9-12 at the time of travel on GEE pre-college program are eligible to participate.
· Transcripts for these college credits are issued through the UC San Diego Extension.
· A total of 3 pre-college credit hours are included.
· Coursework is completed while traveling and facilitated by educator.
· A personal essay and a presentation are required as a final evaluation upon completion.
WHAT WILL YOU GET
· 10 Days Yokohama, Tokyo, Tsukuba, Hiroshima and Kyoto
· Enhanced awareness of the global community.
· Greater appreciation and respect of distinct cultural values and beliefs.
· Analytical and problem-solving skills.
· Exposure to different perspectives and languages.
· Personal development leading to heightened self-confidence and self-esteem.